Sunday, 22 January 2017

The Tribe

I have noticed a lot on social media about having a "tribe";  a group of close friends that you can share with and be yourself with and trust.  I stress the part about a "group".  I sometimes feel envious of people who talk about their "tribe" as a group they have been friends with "forever"... live close together and see each often.  I have no idea if that's true or not but that's how I picture it in my head.

I get a little down sometimes that I don't have what they have... yup I admit it... I sometimes think the grass is greener on the other side.  Luckily I can snap out of it for a time and shake my head. 

It dawned on me that I do have a tribe but it looks a little different than what I have been thinking it should.  Recently I have been reaching out and it turns out I have a pretty darn amazing tribe of my own but my group has some different qualities:
- we don't necessarily live close to each other... but I need to remember they are only a phone call away.  Texting is a marvelous thing but sometimes I just need to talk!
- the group isn't necessarily close with each other in friendship.  I have had so many experiences in my life; I live far from where I grew up, I have friends from university that I don't live near, I have a sister, sister-in-laws, aunts, a mother and mother-in-law and I have friends close to me that don't even know each other but I feel a connection with each of them.
-we are at different stages in our lives
-we have different outlooks on life but this can provide a different perspective.

Despite this, I can go to all of my close connections and confide in them.  I can send them a message, call them or see some of them in person easily.  Each one of them has value to me.  I need to remember that I have all of these amazing women in my life and all I have to do is reach out and they will be there for me.  I will also be there for them.

That's pretty darn amazing and something to be thankful for.  Each stage of life has it's own challenges and supporting one another is how we manage.  Being able to share a glass of wine together (or more) is just a bonus.  All we need to do is reach out and someone will be there.

Thanks Tribe.  Near and Far.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful words Deb. So good for us to remember, in these chilly, darkish days of January, that we each have a tribe to lean on. Our tribe may be big or small, but a tribe nonetheless. I also agree that texting is super for efficient communication but sometimes I just need to chat on the phone or in person. As you know, I love to chat, a gift from our Dad! Love from Aunt Margy

    ReplyDelete