Thursday, 3 September 2015

Fabri-Quilt New Block Design: Square Sky

Square Sky Block



This summer I signed on to participate in the Fabri-Quilt New Block Blog Hop.  We were challenged to design a quilt block using a collection of fabric from Fabri-Quilt, called "Watermelon Summer".  We were asked to use a minimum of three of the fabrics in our design.  I played with the fabric for a few days (don't all quilters "play" with fabric?) and decided to use what I was drawn to... the blue colour palette.






I pulled out my graph paper, pencil, eraser and pencil crayons - I am not tech savvy in my design technique but I was very happy with how easy and pretty it turned out on graph paper.  This block is perfect for a beginner quilter but also perfect for when you are using fabric you want to show off (especially for the centre square).



Instructions for the Square Sky Block design:

Choose 4 fat-eighths of fabric.  I think this design looks good when all fabrics are from the same colour family plus a white but none of this is necessary.  Choose what you love!

Cutting:

Centre Block (lapis blue):  1 - 6.5" x 6.5"
Corner Squares (white): 4 - 3.5" x 3.5"
Rectangles: 4 - 2" x 6.5" (aqua)
                   4 - 2" x 6.5" (turquoise)


Putting It Altogether:

Set your stitch length to 2.5 when piecing this block.

1.  Begin with the 2" x 6.5" rectangles, right sides together, sew along the long edge of the rectangles: 1/4 inch seam allowance is best.  This will make 4 units:





Press seam allowance towards darker fabric.

Just a little side note:  I love using starch when piecing my quilts...
it makes sewing so much easier!
 2.  When I sew a block together, I like to see what I need to do and this block is easy to visualize how it should be put together.
Sew two rectangle units to the sides of the lapis blue square.  Sew two white squares to the ends of each of the remaining rectangle units.


Press towards the large lapis blue square and towards the white for each unit.  This makes it easy to match up seams in the final stage.



Another little side note:
I was moving along quite quickly sewing this block together (it is simple) but then realized I made a mistake... no sewing project is complete without pulling out the seam-ripper.  


3.  Sew all three units together.  It should look just like this when finished:


I love it when my seams line up so nicely.


I made another block with what fabric I had left and I altered it slightly.  In the end, I liked the version on the left better than my original, on the right.  Either way, this block is a great, quick block that shows the fabric nicely.

Block:  Square Sky

I would like to thank the four hosts of our blog hop:
Yvonne of Quilting Jetgirl 
Stephanie of Late Night Quilter
Terri Ann of Childlike Fascination

I am also sending a big HELLO out to my fellow block designers that are also sharing today:

Lastly, head on over to Inspired By Fabric for their giveaways and full information on all of the new block designs this week and the beautiful fabric we were fortunate to work with from Fabri-Quilt.

48 comments:

  1. I like the one on the best too. Great block and instructions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was much more difficult than I thought it would be to put together a tutorial and mine was simple!

      Delete
  2. Your choice of colours is so soothing. Your block is on my to-do list. Simple elegance. :)
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the one on the left, too, because of the great transition in color. Both blocks are great, though, and it is a lovely tutorial. Thanks so much for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy I did join... even though it took a lot more time than I anticipated. I am trying to push myself a bit though so this was a good thing for me.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful design. I could actually make this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both of your blocks and the simplicity of them. Great job on your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is gorgeous! Love the block in the blues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me to... blue is my favourite colour if you asked my kids!

      Delete
  7. These are great blocks! Your instructions were easy to follow. I also love the curtain rod idea for displaying your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you compliment. I have those rods up for my kid's art work but my sewing tables are right underneath so I am taking them for myself.

      Delete
  8. Seeing the two together makes me think that these would make a lovely cross-the-quilt secondary pattern! Love the colour combination too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the beach colors and switching the colors in each block will make a very sharp looking quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your compliment and for reading my blog.

      Delete
  10. Very pretty blocks. Varying the colors sure makes them striking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it. The two blocks look so different, just by changing the layout of of the side pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a pretty block! I bet you could combine them to make a stunning quilt! Blues are my favorite!
    XX!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was drawn the blues, like a always do.

      Delete
  13. Square Sky will make a nice graphic and modern quilt. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I am finding myself drawn to the modern look!

      Delete
  14. I like both blocks. Alternating them in a quilt layout would look really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting my blog and reading my tutorial.

      Delete
  15. Both blocks are lovely. I agree with Diana that alternating them in a layout would look really good. Glad to read I'm not the only one that needs to keep my seam ripper handy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy it's always out and makes me so frustrated. I just need to pay more attention but I seem to always be distracted. At least it was a quick fix.

      Delete
  16. I will be making this block soon. Thank you so much. crystalbluern at onlineok dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very nice to hear. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  17. Such a great block and tutorial! Thank you for sharing and have a wonderful creative day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job and block.Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Deb for your block and the steps of making it. This is an achievable one for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to hear you like it - makes me happy I did this tutorial.

      Delete
  20. Thanks for the great block! I love the simplicity of this one, I have been on a slow sewing kick and need some quick ideas. Putting this one on the list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - sometimes all we need is simple.

      Delete
  21. Two fun variations, but what a difference color makes in regard to the sizing of the middle square! This I have to Pin! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thanks - I was worried it was a bit too simple but I really loved how it looked and there is nothing wrong with an easy, simple block, right?

      Delete
  22. The simplicity of this block is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love this block! Beautiful! The color variations are great, it would look amazing on a whole quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this block and it's simple elegance but then I would because it's similar to my graduated cross block. It must be the water in Ontario. Your pictures are really good as well. I also found the process to be challenging but really glad I did it. Needed the push to get out of the comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete