Monday, 20 July 2015

New Quilt Bloggers 2015 - More About Me

Hi there!  Welcome to my "second" blog... The Farmhouse Quilter.  By second, I  mean that I also write another, Glenroy Farm Family Chronicles, which I write to capture my family's life and experiences.  I have to admit, I haven't been keeping up with it as much as I should but every so often I throw in some recent photos to share.  I like to write and I want to remember EVERYTHING so one day I decided to throw caution to the wind and record my thoughts online so that when my husband and I are older, we can pull out our ipads (tee hee) and read about the amazing life we have had.  This past year, I decided to create another blog devoted to my quilting passion.  I want to share and learn and the best part of my quilt blogging so far is this group:  New Quilt Bloggers 2015 .


2015 New Quilt Bloggers Group


More About Me:

My name is Deb.  I am in my late 30s.  40 is fast approaching but honestly I don't care very much.  I try hard to live my life with few regrets and take each day with great appreciation.  Whoa that sounds heavy but I am trying to live an intentional life.

My husband and I have been married for almost 13 years and have three amazing children:  a daughter who just turned 11, a son who is 8, and a daughter who is 6 years old.  We live on a farm in eastern Ontario, running a large family business (with other family members) growing and selling fruits and vegetables locally (McGregor's Produce).  I work part time for our business as the staff manager and marketing manager. I also have a small jam-making business. I started off as a teacher after I finished university but once we started our family we decided it would be really good if I could stay home and look after them and work more and more with our family business.  As the kids grew, so did my responsibilities with our business and the rest is history.  I am thankful every day that we can do what we want - that is what living the dream is all about!



When I was 7 months pregnant with my second child (Alex) I decided to learn to quilt (what was I thinking??).  Over the years I would dabble in sewing, my mom would let me use her machine for little projects I would make and I remember making my first quilt in high school for an assignment.  I don't exactly know why I wanted to learn to quilt 9 years ago but I have always been a lover of all things creative and I would consider myself crafty.

Let's get back to my passion for quilting.  I took a class from an amazing woman who is highly respected in the local quilting community.  She taught me the basics of quilting but also was very strict on technique.  As a result, I can do binding with the best of them and know exactly how to get my points to line up.  Once I had that class under my belt, away I went and 9 years later I am still surprising myself with how confident I am with new quilting projects.  My husband bought me my first sewing machine, a lovely dependable Kenmore but a few years ago I invested in a quilting machine and she is one of my best friends, my Pfaff Expression 2.0.  We have laughed together, cried together...

How about a look at some of my favourite projects:


I have made many baby quilts and this is one of them, which I made quite a few years ago.
 My oldest daughter is inspecting it to make sure it is cuddly enough.

I dabble in making clothing (of which I find very difficult).
This is a pillowcase dress.

I have also made quite a few rag quilts.  I made this one for my brother and sister-in-law.
They experienced a house fire so I made this as a housewarming gift for when they rebuilt their home.

I love sewing bags.   I have made this pattern over and over again.


I made this table runner for my mother-in-law a few years ago.  This project was a turning
point for me as I realized I was capable of more than I thought - small pieces with precise points!

This was a special project.  My husband's cousin passed away in a very tragic accident.
He had a wife and two young daughters.  I made this quilt for them in pretty pastel pink colours
 - girly colours for a girly house!

I made this quilt for our youngest daughter last fall for her 6th birthday.

I love doing applique and I found this pattern in a local quilt shop.  I decided against
buying the kit and to try to do some stash-busting.  I was very happy with how it turned out.
The backing is scottish plaid so I have it turned over for the rest of the year (we are a half-scottish family).

This quilt was one of the easiest quilts to make but it turned out so beautiful.
I made this for a new nephew when he was born this past winter and then borrowed it back
for my local quilt guild's show in early June.

This is my very first commissioned quilt and I almost didn't send it away...
I pieced and quilted the whole thing!

This little project was fun.  The guild that I am a member of hosted a orphan block swap.
I got the centre block and matching fabric and created this little table runner
What am I up to now?

Quite a lot actually.  Among all of the work for our farm business and having three kids at home with me for the summer... I have a few quilting projects on the go!  I actually have three more commissioned  quilts to make, a quilt for my daughter to finish, and so many more projects I WANT to make.  This fall I have plans to make my way through the book from Shea Henderson, The School Of Sewing and possibly host a small group of sewing friends to go along with me.
Some day I want to teach quilting and sewing classes and I would love to make more quilts to sell. Let's just say I want to fund my quilting habit!

Quilting Tips:
Buy good quality fabric.  It makes a world of difference for how easy the projects goes.  I have learned this lessons a few times.
One of my favourite tips:  Quilt with wine!  I saw this title on a quilting magazine once and just had to buy it!  It took me a long time to figure out how to free-motion quilt but one of my favourite things to do is to have a glass of wine (or two) as I am quilting.  Actually, just plain being relaxed is the key!

Blogging Tip:
I am very new to the world of blogging.  I feel like I have so much to learn but one thing I have learned is to do baby steps when creating and improving your blog.  The templates are good for starting out but changing things within your blog a little at a time is less daunting than making your blog perfect right from the start.

I am so appreciative to our our hosts for this experience - I have learned so much and don't really want it to end!

My Hive Momma:
Stephanie at The Late Night Quilter
and our Hive

New Blogger Series

 Our Other Hosts:
Yvonne at Quilt Jet Girl
Cheryl at Meadowmist Designs
Terri Ann at Childlike Fascination

I am sending a big shout-out to my hive-mates also posting this week:
Margo at Shadowlanequilts and Crafts
Josie at Avocado Quilts
Emma at My Handmade Home Journey

Well I'm off!  It's crazy hot and humid here so we are heading to the pool at my inlaw's this afternoon.  Thank goodness for air-conditioning in my home because I have two birthday cakes to make first.

Deb

46 comments:

  1. I like your approach to life and quilt making so signed up for your blog. I was a bit homesick for Buffalo and western NY when I read about your farm and the U-pick strawberries. I really miss the deliciousness of waiting all year for strawberry season and then going to a u-pick farm. The farmer didn't mind if we ate some while filling our baskets and they were so delicious fresh off the plant. Then we'd go home and make jam or freeze some berries whole with a little sugar. Come January that strawberry shortcake was yummy. Some years we made several trips back to pick. Thanks for the sweet memories and beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. Yes seasonal eating is one of the best things about summer! Take care.
      Deb

      Delete
  2. Such a wonderful introduction post Deb. Your positive personality just about jumps out of the screen! I definitely agree with your blogging tip about baby steps. As for your quilting tip re wine, can I just add that you need to be careful not to spill any (don't ask how I know..!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for those kind words. I love red wine but try to keep my glass far from my fabric. Ha!
      Deb

      Delete
  3. Love your blog! Glad to get to know you a little bit more. I've always love a farm life though I've never had a farm. I love to grow things and have a small kitchen garden at my home. You're living a dream life and your positive attitude makes it a perfect one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much! I love the farm life...most of the time.

      Delete
  4. Great to find your blog through the hop! Love your butterfly quilt and the pastel baby quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I love those quilts to!

      Delete
  5. Great intro! That pastel baby quilt is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I was pleased with how that baby quilt turned out.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're machine twins! My Gertrude is also a Pfaff Expression 2.0.

    I love the variety of things you do! You seem to be happy working with different colours, techniques and styles which is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay now I need to give my pfaff a name!

      Delete
  8. Hi Deb! I love all of your quilts and I am so glad I met you through this experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly. I am so glad to have met you to.
      Deb

      Delete
  9. I love your goal of living an intentional life - yes! :) I really enjoy getting to know why/how the quilting bug bites everyone. I hope the blog hop experience has been a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely has Yvonne...if anything, I have met some like-minded people.
      Deb

      Delete
  10. You are one busy mama! I'm not sure how you keep all the balls in the air, but you must because you're making beautiful quilts on top of everything else. So nice to visit today, and have a glimpse into your world.

    Julie @ Pink Doxies

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sometimes let balls fall...life is very hectic especially at certain times of the year. The summer is really hard to keep things organized but I try...I try to be there for my kids and husband and business. I will get to sew more in the fall.
    Thanks for your kind words and for stopping by.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the intro. I saw your beautiful pastel rainbow baby quilt online, and that's what led me to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Deb: it sounds like you have a fascinating life. I'm under no illusions about the idyllic farm life, and I think what you and your family are doing. The world definitely needs more family farms, and fewer run by corporations. Do you still make jam? I used to make it all the time; then I got married and my husband kept mixing it with peanut butter, which made me decide that there was little point to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a nice live; must of my childhood was living on a farm and I loved it so I am happy our children get to grow up here. I just wish we were a bit closer to our nearest town because I spend a lot of time driving.
      I make hundreds of jars of jam a year, selling it through our farm business. I love making jam but would not like it if someone mixed it with peanut butter!! It tastes best on it's own!
      Deb

      Delete
  14. Thank you for sharing your passion! Beautiful quilts, love the pastel rainbow!! You have a very busy and unique life! Farm life sound like heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Deb; Your blog is looking awesome. It was great getting to know you better. Good luck with your quilting goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have been working on my blog look; still more to do but I need to spend less time on it and more time quilting!

      Delete
  16. Oh you have made some beautiful quilts Deb! Love your Believe runner, and interesting to see the orphan block. My guild Erie Shores, is doing an orphan block exchange and I don't really "get" it...until now. Aren't you glad it's finally hot and humid here (and that you have access to a pool - we went to our daughter's on the weekend). I love making bags too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very lucky to have two pools at our disposal but we are putting our own in for next year. Less packing everything up.

      Delete
  17. I think taking baby steps is key when building a blog! Great post, Deb. I really enjoyed learning more about you. Your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Deb, nice to meet you. Your style has definitely evolved, I can tell from your pictures. I admire anyone who fits quilting in when their children are young - I know from experience it is not an easy thing to do, but it's so compelling, isn't it? It was great getting to know you, see you in cyber space

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have learned that I need to have a creative outlet in my life...keeps me happy.

      Delete
  19. Yay Deb!!! Congratulations on a successful post! It was such a pleasure to have you in my hive. Thank you for all that you contributed to our group. I can't wait to see more of your quilts, and hear more about the farm!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, you were so helpful and an awesome leader. Thanks!
      Deb

      Delete
  20. Totally agree that one should quilt with wine! There are a few other quilter's I know that embrace that philosophy as well. I just have to make sure I'm not doing something important that can't be undone (like cutting) or where I can injure myself (like cutting).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello and nice to meet you! Your recent modern quilts are wonderful, I love your first commission quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much...I have to say I love the clean fresh look of modern.

      Delete
  22. Thanks for sharing your story. Great projects posted here.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It sure sounds like you are living the dream! Excellent! :) I'm a stay at home mom of three kiddos, too (although mine are 5, 3, and 6 weeks old), living in rural Maine. I love your tip of quilting with wine and think an entire book could be written on the topic! LOL I've actually written a few silly blog posts about pairing wine and fabric, and hope to write more now that my youngest is on the outside and I can have a taste of the wine paring, too! Looking forward to seeing your projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. The Farmhouse Quilter24 July 2015 at 22:02
      Thanks for visiting Kitty. You are a few years behind me in parenting...don't blink, it goes by way too fast! I barely remember those days.
      Deb

      Delete
  24. Thanks for visiting Kitty. You are a few years behind me in parenting...don't blink, it goes by way too fast! I barely remember those days.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Deb, I really enjoyed reading your blog hop post. My father was from Ontario so I feel a kinship with those of you in our New Quilt Bloggers Group from Canada. Your orphan block swap table runner is lovely, and I think I may suggest that swap to my local quilt guild. Your first commissioned quilt is gorgeous and it would be so hard not keep it yourself. Do you know if the pattern is available online for the bag you have on your blog? It looks like one friendly to someone new to sewing. Take care, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  26. http://www.tipjunkie.com/post/free-handbag-patterns/

    I think you might find the link to this pattern here. I also have it on my Pinterest quilted bags board. It's been a couple years since I made one and I printed out the pattern.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    Deb

    ReplyDelete